You can buy textured paint pre-mixed or you can buy packages of powdered texture additive or sand (formulated for mixing with paint) to add to standard paint, such as True Value EasyCare® Ultra Premium Interior Paint.
Note: Texture additives can be added to both latex and oil paints.
What can you add to paint to add texture?
Sand. The most common substance added to paints to create a textured final product is sand. Specifically, silica sand that is sold by home improvement and hardware stores for mixing with paint.
How do you make paint look textured?
- Fill a paint roller tray with flat latex paint.
- Pour 4 to 6 ounces (113.3 to 170 g) of silica sand into the paint.
- Stir the paint with a wooden paint stick.
- Add more silica sand for a coarser texture.
- Repeat the process of stirring before each application because the sand will settle on the bottom.
30 Nov 2019
How do you mix textures?
Suggested clip 116 seconds
USG Surfaces: How to Texture Drywall with a Hopper Gun – YouTube
Start of suggested clip
End of suggested clip
Can you add sand to paint for texture?
Choose fine, medium or coarsely ground silica sand, depending on the amount of texture you wish to add to the paint. You can also purchase paint premixed with sand, but unless you mix it yourself you can’t control the sand grain size or the degree of texture.14 Dec 2018